We are looking for a volunteer coordinator to recruit, train, schedule, and support our volunteers. Volunteers are crucial to delivery of our mission, as each client may need assistance from up to three volunteers while on the horse; we also rely on volunteers to help fundraise, care for the farm, and keep things running. The volunteer coordinator is a critical interface to make sure volunteers have a great experience at the Center and that we fully leverage their skill sets.
This is a non-exempt position and reports to the program director. Schedule varies due to the demands of the position - while most of the work can be done remotely and with some flexibility in scheduling, we would like the volunteer coordinator to be on-site one day per week on a rotating basis during volunteers' scheduled shifts to see volunteers in person.
A typical day might include the following:
- Responding to phone calls, emails, and texts from prospective and current volunteers (we do our best to respond to all communications within 24 hours on weekdays, within reason).
- Monitoring the daily volunteer schedule and recruiting volunteers to fill any gaps, ensuring coverage for all shifts. We use Volgistics for volunteer scheduling and time-tracking, so volunteers are able to self-schedule for the most part, but the volunteer coordinator manages cancellations, volunteers who are out sick, etc.
- Recruiting new volunteers and orienting them to the Center.
- Identifying and scheduling volunteers for tasks and projects outside of classes - farm maintenance, speaking engagements, fundraising, etc.
- Greeting volunteers on-site, making sure they have a T-shirt and can log into Volgistics, helping them with any challenges, and ensuring that they have a great experience at the farm.
- Jumping in to volunteer in a class if a volunteer can't make it at the last minute.
- Giving a presentation in the community to educate people about the organization and encourage them to volunteer.
- Getting to know volunteers and identifying those that might be looking for more engagement with the Center.
- Crafting volunteer recognition and appreciation gifts so our volunteers know how much they mean to us.
- Assisting with the promotion of the Center in social and print media.
- Coaching and educating volunteers to ensure a safe, predictable experience for everyone - volunteers, clients, and horses.
This job might be for you if:
- You love people and enjoy talking to new people and making them feel welcome. We love introverts, but they often don't love this job.
- You don't hate horses, the outdoors, or a little dirt (absolutely no horse experience is required for this position, but you will enjoy working here more if you aren't annoyed by horse-obsessed people).
- You like computers and can figure out web-based software programs pretty easily. Help is available if you're stuck, but as this position will be mostly remote, we'd like you to be fairly computer-savvy so you're not frustrated by technology challenges.
- You are super organized and love seeing a schedule with all the slots filled in and everything working like a well-oiled machine.
- You are motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- You are detail-oriented and data-driven; we have invested in software to make this job less monotonous (we don't want you spending your time manually adding up volunteer hours); now we want to leverage that data to recruit volunteers more effectively, reduce volunteer turnover, and give our volunteers a great experience.
- You are enthusiastic about the critical role you and our volunteers play in delivering high quality programming to our clients.
- You communicate well, in writing and on the phone, with people who might be unlike yourself - our volunteers are a diverse group, and we want them all to feel heard.
- You're a creative problem solver who likes to think outside the box while still ensuring that we follow the rules - we are accredited by PATH, and so we take best practices seriously for everyone's safety.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NCTRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment.